July is Independent Retailer Month.
Independent Retailer Month is a global ‘Shop Local’ campaign in July supporting the role of local, independent retailers. The campaign started in the USA in 2003 and came to the UK in 2011, where it is led by Clare Rayner, The Retail Champion.
Independent Retailer Month has 3 objectives (1):
- Impact! To benefit the independent retail sector globally with relevant support, expertise and insights
- Connect! To link consumers and communities to local retailers, reminding them of the benefits of shopping local
- Engage! To spread the word via small business organisations, associations, networks, and thought-leaders to demonstrate the importance of independent retail to the global, national and local economies.
- (1) www.independentretailermonth.co.uk/about
- Facebook www.facebook.com/IndependentretailermonthUK
- Twitter: @IndieRetailUK
There is also a range of sizes available, you can see the other sizes if you go to the largest Independent Retailer Month 2012 logo.
There is also a range of sizes available, you can see the other sizes if you go to this link for the largest Independent Retailer Month 2012 poster.
There are lots of other ideas for how to promote yourself, many of them free, on the Get Involved page.
- Independent Retailer Month
- Claire Rayner, The Retail Champion
- E11 BID
- Association of Town Centre Managers
- British Independent Retailers Association
- East London Chamber of Commerce
- Federation of Small Businesses (home)
- Federation of Small Businesses Greater London Region
- International Jewellery London. An official supporter of Independent Retailer Month.
- National Association of British Market Authorities. Runs the National Market Day initiative during 23 June–8 July 2012, one of Mary Portas’ proposals
- National Market Traders Federation
- Business Link: the Government portal for anyone setting up or already in business
- The Portas Review: Mary Portas’ report to the Government about reviving town centres. Essential reading for any retailer.
- Skillsmart Retail and the National Skills Academy for Retail is the Sector Skills Council for Retail
- UKStartUp.net Site for businesses starting up
- Waltham Forest Guardian contact page