Most sport and facilities are organised at a borough level, London wide or other regional level, so this list can never be complete, but it includes some of the more local clubs, teams and centres.
Sports Centres (London Borough of Waltham Forest)
The nearest leisure centre is Leytonstone Leisure Centre (which re-opened in October 2014 after a major refurbishment and was previously known as Cathall Leisure Centre). Facilities include:
- Fitness centre
- Swimming pool
- Health suite
- Creche play and learn
- Toddlers’ world
- Dance studios
Location and travel
T: 020 8539 8343
Map: Google Maps
About 10 minutes’ walk from Leyton tube, 20 minutes’ from Leytonstone tube.
- W14 (Leyton Asda to Woodford Bridge) goes along Cathall Road
- W15 (Hackney to Cogan Avenue Estate) to Grove Green Road then less than 5 minutes’ walk
- 257 (Walthamstow Central to Stratford) to Harrow Green then less than 5 minutes’ walk
Car: Cathall Road connects with Grove Green Road and Leytonstone High Road. There is a car park.
- See the Council’s website for a full list of Waltham Forest sports and leisure centres:
- Cathall Leisure Centre (Leytonstone)
- Larkswood Leisure Centre (Chingford)
- Leyton Leisure Lagoon (Baker’s Arms)
- Plumtree Studios (Leyton)
- Kelmscott Leisure Centre (Walthamstow)
- Waltham Forest Pool and Track (Walthamstow)
These are run by social enterprise Greenwich Leisure Ltd (GLL), who also run the Peter May Sports Centre.
Sports Centres (other) and grounds
- London Borough of Waltham Forest Sports-Facilities-Information. Includes playing fields, leisure cycle routes, activities for specific age groups.
- London Borough of Waltham Forest list of sports pitches and courts and how to book.
- Peter May Sports Centre, Wadham Road, Chingford
- Leytonstone Business and Enterprise Specialist School, Community Sports Centre, Upper Leytonstone, is open to the public (check opening times).
Some local/nearby clubs and teams
Please use the Contact Form to let me know if any of these details are incorrect, or you want your club/team to be added to or removed from the list.
You should obviously take care to ensure that any sports clubs for children are legitimate. Check with the relevant council who have a register of clubs if you have any concerns.
- Aldersbrook Tennis Club
- Leyton County Cricket
- Leytonstone Youth Cricket Club
- Wanstead and Snaresbook Cricket Club
- Forest Flyerz (Hockey and Quick Sticks)
- Leyton Karate Club E: email@example.com
- North London Tae Kwondo
- Hackney and Leyton Football League
- Football Club Leytonstone
- Leyton Football Club
- Wadham Football Club
- Eton Manor Rugby Club (Wanstead)
- Waltham Forest (Whipps) Volleyball Club
- Eastside Eagles Basketball Club. E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Eton Manor Athletics Club
- Equinox Judo E: email@example.com
- Highams Park Coaching Centre (Bike Riding)
- Chingford School of Tennis
- London Youth Rowing
- Trinity May Badminton Club
- Wanstead Golf Club