Today’s the day when the Paralympic flame comes to Waltham Forest just before it moves on to the Olympic Stadium for the opening of the Paralympic Games.
The Paralympic flame will start its route at the Lea Valley Ice centre then go up Lea Bridge Road and right into Orient Way to the new Jubilee Park (the former Marsh Lane Playing Fields) in Leyton, which will be officially opened tonight.
There will be a fun fair in Jubilee Park, food and drink and local acts. The event is open 5-9pm and the torch is expected at 7.30pm. You don’t need tickets and entrance to the park is free.
For details of the Paralympic flame route and opening of Jubilee Park see the London Borough of Waltham Forest Big6 website.
- London 2012 website Paralympic games
- London 2012 website Paralympic Torch relay
- London 2012 website Plan your travel
- London Evening Standard Guide to the Paralympics
If you have tickets to the Paralympic Games and your travel instructions advise using Eton Manor Gate (the nearest entrance to Leyton), see this page for directions to Eton Manor Gate. I’ve ahd a report that Eton Manor gate is not open for the Opening ceremony. Do follow the advice from the Paralympic Games (London 2012) though.
If you’re travelling from outside the borough see the right hand margin and foot of this page for links and travel updates from Transport for London and the Highways Agency.
Maps of the Olympic Park
- Map of the Olympic Park (London2012 map in .pdf format you can print off and showing the main facilities)
- Olympic Park on Google Maps (If you don’t know the area, beware, some people have tried to gain a marketing advantage by marking up the Olympic Stadium wrongly on Google Maps, the correct location is near to Stratford Station).